Tuesday, January 18, 2005

It's About Damned Time

I'm going to do it! I'm about to give everyone else the finger and pursue the major that I want to pursue...English! Possibly with a minor in communications, but I'll work that out later. I've decided that the only way I can be taken seriously is by taking what I want to do with my life seriously. I've always seen writing as "my craft" and I see this change as a means of perfecting my craft.
In addition, I have also decided that I would like to teach. I'm not that interested in teaching high school, so it will probably be at the college level. That way, I can eke out a living, yet still focus on my writing.
There is so much farther I feel that I need to go. I honestly need to be more spiritually focused and I'm always concerned with being a better parent. I also have to do major work on my personal/social life and the choices I make. It's been statistically proven that when there are two avenues before me, I am adroit looking squarely at the right one, choosing the wrong one anyway and barrelling through it at full speed. That's something I definitely need to change. I've been told that I'm somewhat wise beyond my years. Judging from the past six months though, has only shown me how much I don't know and how misguided I still am.
The fact is, when I deviate from my rules, and try to live by someone else's, not only do I fail, but I'm also miserable. Ultimately, I have to go back to basics and start the whole process over again. One day I'll stop learning the same lesson.

1 comment:

Ms. Audacity said...

I totally understand what you mean about focusing on what matters to you and ignoring the naysayers... What a great post!