Friday, August 22, 2008

The Odyssey, Pt. 1

This trip, I believe, may well be known as "the journey which launched a thousand posts.". Stories such as, "The day I discovered my father's pimpin is real," "you know that beignet sugar is really crack, right?" and "who knew that hunting El Chupacabra could make you sexy as hell" are begging to be told. I'm sure that some stories I will tell, and some I won't. But I've had a great time and hold mixed feelings about leaving. Don't think I've lost my mind and am entertaining the notion of returning to New Orleans. I just didn't anticipate how hard leaving could be. Let me also say that there is something positively soul stirring about traveling with the knowledge that with every stop, you're going to spend time with people that love you dearly.

I've learned, with this trip, that there is a time and place for everything. I've learned that sometimes, you don't have to rehash the past to look at the future. I've put some friendships on pause, taken others out of limbo, and even got transported back to my high school days. That's kind of what going home is all about, isn't it?

3 comments:

BLESSD1 said...

Awww....glad to hear that you had a good time. I found visiting home the same way every time it was time for me to head back to Atlanta. I can't wait to hear those tales :-)

Clifton said...

Everyone who comes home has the same feeling when they leave. I will tell you what I always tell them. Unless you get a can't miss opportunity right now embrace where you are for awhile. There is no need to be here everyday if you don't have to until these people get their shit together.

Breez said...

@Clifton, I agree with you. Believe it or not, I'm really not interested in going back home to live, but I'm thinking I would like to be in closer proximity to my family. When I first moved up here, it was easier to fly and get home. Now, airline prices are through the roof. It's August, and I'm already looking at spending a grand to go home during the holidays.