Saturday, September 10, 2005

Untitled

I'm in this purgatory between sadness and elation and I'm not sure which way I should go. New Orleans is the platonic friend that you would never commit to, but when they're taken away all you can do is think, "Maybe I should have..." I always looked at relocating from the perspective of one that could always return home if this didn't work out. Now the question will become, where is home? My father isn't going back, my grandmother isn't going back, my friends aren't going back.

I'm really excited about the potential that a new city holds. I have some very solid job leads in the Maryland/DC area and that has me psyched, but there's this homesick part of me that doesn't want to be anywhere but at my home. I had a dream that my cousin and I were at The Loft just vibing and having a blast and this morning I woke up jonesed out for an overstuffed shrimp po'boy from We Never Close.

I'm hoping that at some point, wherever I am feels like home, a real home, to me. For right now though, I just feel sort of torn.

3 comments:

Amadeo said...

I hear you...I go places and think how cool it is, but I can't tear myself away from Bmore...it's all I know and love. I can't imagine being anywhere else for long...despite the times I rag on this city.

SP said...

Good luck in your job search. Once you are settled in, I'm sure you'll feel like you are home again. I wish there was something I could do to help. If you do go up to the DC area, give me a shout. I might be able to provide you a temporary place to stay.

Cynthia said...

I was born in New Orleans, but I've been living in Chicago forever, after a long while, Chicago has become my home. Even when I go visit my relatives in Cut Off/Larose LA, I look forward to coming back home (to Chicago). And now, I look forward to calling some place else my home after I finish school. Good luck with your life.